Before we delight you with gluten-free pancake goodness, first off, a quick history lesson on why folks eat pancakes on Fat Tuesday. For some Christians, Fat Tuesday is a day before Ash Wednesday, and it goes by many names – Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, and Mardi Gras (the direct French translation). Since Lent is a time of reflection and fasting for Christians, it was traditional to use up all the fat and sugar in the house before Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), hence the tradition of pancakes the night before.
Let’s talk about gluten-free pancakes! Following are a few tips for testing pancakes with Nima along with a delicious recipe to make your own gluten-free pancakes at home.
Tips for Testing Gluten-Free Pancakes with Nima
Our recent app data shows very few people were testing gluten-free pancakes – not even in our top 10. However, we did see some tests for pancake mixes, pancakes, and syrups. Here’s our advice on how to test each one.
- Pancake mixes: As with all dry, floury mixes, use a small sample and add a drop of water. We’ve got a video that shows a close up of how to test these.
- Pancakes: If you’re eating out, make certain to grab a sample that has both sides of the pancake, in case of shared cook surfaces. Remember: always ask about preparation surfaces – hopefully they’ve got a dedicated skillet they can use for gluten-free pancakes!
- Syrups: The biggest fears here are three-fold: contamination at bottle openings from contact with non-gluten-free items, introduction of gluten to syrup via contaminated utensil, or if not pure maple syrup, ingredient contamination. Be mindful of where you take a sample, and please follow our advice for testing sticky/gummy substances.
Gluten-Free Pancake Recipe
This gluten-free pancake recipe is paleo, too (depending on what you add to it). These are easy to make, light, and make 4 large pancakes.
Serves: 4 pancakes
- 4 eggs
- 2 bananas
- Coconut oil
Toppings (all up to you!)
- Almond butter
- Peanut butter (and jelly!)
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Dried fruit
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Allergen-free chocolate chips
- Wrap ‘em around some GF breakfast sausages for GF pigs-in-a-blanket
- Make the batter: Blend 2 eggs and 1 banana in a food processor or with a mixer.
Optional: Add berries or nuts
- Preheat a frying pan or skillet over med-high heat, until drops of water sizzle in the pan
- Grease with a small amount coconut oil
- Pour batter to 3-4 inch circles in pan
- Cook 3-4 minutes on one side then flip to cook 3-4 minutes on the other side
- Serve these magical gluten-free pancakes
- Serve immediately
- Top with any of suggested toppings
- Feel awesome!