We are in the full swing of fall. In my household, fall means Sunday is full of passive football viewing and Chinese food. Because of course fall, football and Chinese food are the most delicious combination.
I love take-out Chinese food. Getting “divorced” from my go-to takeout Chinese restaurant was one of the many challenging parts of finding out I couldn’t eat gluten.
We asked our community earlier this week which restaurant they thought was most frequently tested with Nima. The result?
We love that the chain really makes an effort to cater to dietary needs, especially gluten-free with a dedicated menu. We wanted to find out how a majority of P.F. Chang’s gluten-free dishes were faring in our community. Here are the results from all the Nima tests logged in the iOS app.
All reported test results were specified as GF
Nima reported 74% of samples from dishes were gluten-free (less than 20 ppm)
Nima detected gluten in 24% of samples from dishes that were specified as gluten-free
family style at @pfchangs means 2 Nimas and a whole box of cartridges! Since I’ve had mixed experiences there of #glutenfree and #glutenfound, I test EVERYTHING!! This time about 70% of the “GF” dishes we ordered came back with 😃 and the other 30% had #glutenfound 👎🚫 thanks to @nimasensor I could stick to the dishes I know wouldn’t make me sick! • • • #nimatested #nimaapproved #sortof #pfchangs #glutenfreefollowme #glutenfree #celiac #celiacsafe #celiacdisease #friedrice #glutenfreeasianfood #paloalto #glutenfreepaloalto #bayarea #instaeats #goseeglutenfree #glutenfreeliving #glutenfreelifestyle #glutenfreelife #allergyfriendly #whatceliacseat
Top dishes consistently gluten-free (at least two test results per dish):
- Hoikken Street Noodles
- Fried Rice
- Pad Thai Chicken
Dishes that had more than 50% of tests positive for gluten*, even when labeled gluten-free:
- Coconut Curry Vegetables
- Dynamite Chicken
- Mongolian Beef
- Chang’s Spicy Chicken
- Shrimp with Lobster Sauce
- Beef with Broccoli
- Chocolate Dome
- Ginger Chicken
As we continue to crowdsource this data in the community, we can start to see patterns emerge and hope to educate restaurants and food service providers about how we can best support their efforts.
*Nima can detect <20ppm in some cases. Read more about why Nima will display “gluten found” below 20 ppm here.
Want your own Nima? Shop now!