Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Meatless
This post is written by Tatjana Mustac. Tatjana is a college ambassador with celiac disease and a native of Queens, NY.
Besides being strictly gluten-free for my journey with celiac disease, I have also become dairy-free and meatless. And of course, I still have a vast variety of food to still enjoy!
When becoming vegetarian, your diet becomes much more healthier. According to the Mayo Clinic, some health benefits from being dairy-free and meatless include:
- Significantly reduced risk for heart disease, diabetes, obesity and various forms of cancer
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Higher dietary fiber content necessary for proper digestion
What I Eat
A typical question I often am asked is: “If I do not eat gluten, dairy or meat, what do I eat?”
Some of my favorite gluten-free, dairy-free and meatless meals include: crepes, salads, various seafood dishes and plant-based burgers.
Sample Meal Plan
- Breakfast: An omelette with plenty of vegetables. I typically prefer onions, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini and peppers.
- Lunch: A greek salad without the feta cheese.
- Snack: An açaí bowl. I typically prefer my toppings to be: strawberries, bananas, blueberries, chia seeds and coconut shavings.
- Dinner: A “Beyond the Meat” burger with an Udi’s gluten-free burger bun. Some toppings I like to include on my burger are: lettuce, tomato, onions and mushrooms.
Some tips I have for anyone attempting to try my diet are:
- Meal prepping is essential
- Try different recipes
– – –
Here are a few more empowering posts by Nima community members: